Continuing Education Requirements
Each LPN is required to obtain a minimum of 8 hours of Mandatory Education every licensure year. LPNs can obtain these hours through:
LPNs can complete the remainder of their CEP hours through optional educational categories
For a more detailed description of the CEP system - please click here to view the CEP chart!
Educational Opportunities - Mandatory Education
- Courses related to health care or nursing practice offered by an educational institution/organization recognized by council. Examples include University of Regina, University of Saskatchewan, Athabasca University, Saskatchewan Polytechnic, MacEwan University.
- LEAD 201CE - Leadership in Nursing (40 CE Hours)
- NRSG 252CE - Patient Safety (30 CE Hours)
- NRSG 253CE - Community Nursing (30 CE Hours)
- NRSG 254CE - IV Therapy/Blood and Blood Products Completer (15 CE Hours)
- NRSG 255CE – Nasogastric Tube Insertion Completer (15 CE Hours)
- NRSG 256CE - Tracheostomy Care Completer for LPNs (15 CE Hours)
- NURS 227CE - Health Assessment for LPNs (60 CE Hours)
- CE-4012 - Safe Medication Administration (60 CE Hours)
- CE-4013 - Mood Disorders (15 CE Hours)
- CE-4014 - Psychosocial Assessment (15 CE Hours)
- CE-4016 - Principles of Nursing Practice for Outpatient Procedures (60 CE Hours)
- CE-4017 - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (15 CE Hours)
- CE-4018 - Therapeutic Communication Skills (15 CE Hours)
- CE-4019 - Roles, Responsibilities & Ethics (30 CE Hours)
- CE-4020 - Care of Patient with Kidney Disease (60 CE Hours)
- CE-4021 - Care of the Patient with Lower Extremity Wounds (60 CE Hours)
- CE-4022 - Health Record Documentation for LPNs (15 CE Hours)
- CE-4025 - Principles and Practices of Foot Care for the LPN (66 CE Hours)
- CE-4028 - Leadership & Management in Perioperative & MDR (60 CE Hours)
MacEwan University - Centre for Professional Nursing Education
70+ online courses that are various lengths and prices. The course descriptions outline the number of contact hours for each course.
- Less formalized education offered outside of institutional learning, including online learning modules, acceptable to council
SALPN Endorsed Educational Courses
CCPNR Code of Ethics for LPNs - delivered by Learning LPN (1 CE Hour)
Patient Assessment - delivered by Learning Nurse (1 CE Hour)
"Learning to Learn"- delivered by Learning Nurse (1 CE Hour)
Assessment and Management of Parkinson's Disease- delivered by Parkinson Society of Canada (CE Hours TBD)
Guidelines for a Palliative Approach to Aged Care in the Community - Austrailian Healthcare & Hospital Association (16 CE Hours for all 6 Modules)
- Becomes unavailable June 30, 2017.
Death, Dying, Grief and Self-Care Training for Healthcare Providers - delievered by Alive in Death (24 CE Hours for all 8 Modules)
The Role of the Practitioner in Indigenous Wellness - University of Saskatchewan, CME/CPTE (12 week session, CE Hours TBD)
Addiction Medicine Diploma - British Columbia Centre for Substance Abuse (16 CE Hours)
Perinatal Loss Conference 2017 - RQHR Perinatal Loss Committee (CE Hours TBD)
College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) Self-Study Courses
Nursing Documentation- CLPNA (6 CE Hours)
Infection Prevention and Control - CLPNA (8 CE Hours)
Anaphylaxis- CLPNA (8 CE Hours)
Pressure Ulcers Treatment - CLPNA (8 CE Hours)
Medication Drug Calculation - CLPNA (2 CE Hours)
Explore over 1300 online Continuing Education courses and journal articles (journal articles are optional education) all at affordable prices! The course descriptions outline the number of contact hours for each course and journal article.
700+ online Continuing Education courses, with several courses that are free to complete. The course descriptions outline the number of contact hours for each course.
ANA Nursing Knowledge Centre
Over a 100 online learning courses and webinars that cover topics related to all facets of nursing. Prices range from $20US - $150US. The course descriptions outline the number of contact hours for each course.
NCSBN Online Learning Resources
Delegating Effectively (4.2 CE Hours)
Diversity: Building Cultural Competence (6.0 CE Hours)
Documentation: A Critical Aspect of Client Care (5.4 CE Hours)
End-of-Life Care & Pain Management (3.0 CE Hours)
Ethics of Nursing Practice (4.8 CE Hours)
Medication Errors: Detection & Prevention (4.0 CE Hours)
Patient Privacy (5.4 CE Hours)
Professional Accountability & Legal Liability for Nurses (5.4 CE Hours)
Professional Boundaries in Nursing (3.0 CE Hours)
Righting A Wrong: Ethics & Professionalism in Nursing (3.0 CE Hours)
Sharpening Critical Thinking Skills (3.6 CE Hours)
Understanding Substance Use Disorder in Nursing (4.0 CE Hours)
De Souza Institute
Online nursing specific classes that run for various lengths throughout the year. Prices are related to course length. The course descriptions outline the number of contact hours for each course.
John Collins Consulting Inc.
Anger and Conflict Resolution in the Workplace (4 CE hours per week, for 7 weeks)
Augmented LPN Practice (4 CE hours per week, for 8 weeks)
Client Assessment (6 CE hours per week, for 12 weeks)
Critical Thinking in Nursing (3.5 CE hours twice per week, for 6 weeks)
Documentation in Nursing (4 CE hours per week, for 6 weeks)
Leadership for LPN Practice (6 CE hours per week, for 12 weeks)
Introduction to Nursing Ethics for Licensed Practical Nurses (5 CE hours per week, for 6 weeks)
Nursing Clients with Dementia (4 CE hours per week, for 8 weeks)
Professional Boundaries in Nursing (4 CE hours per week, for 5 weeks)
Professional Communications in Nursing (4 CE hours per week, for 6 weeks)
Professionalism in Nursing (4 CE hours per week, for 6 weeks)
Time Management for Nursing Practice (4 CE hours per week, for 6 weeks)
Educational Opportunities - Optional Education
- Credible articles, audio-visual or internet sources from a nursing or health related source acceptable to council.
Sample Articles (CE hours are based on time of completion)
RESPVideos - Educational Respiratory Online Videos - Presented by Lung Health Institute of Canada & Breath The Lung Association
Webinars (CE hours are based on time of completion)
- Learning event such as courses, in-services, workshops, conferences/AGM, and semnars sponsored or accredited by a professional organization or association acceptable to council, which may or may not lead to an official certification.
SALPN Endorsed Conferences & Workshops (CE hours are based on time of completion)
July 25 & 26, 2017 - Saskatoon, SK - Bridges Health - Mental Health First Aid in the Workplace
September 6 & 7, 2017 - Kindersley, SK - University of Saskatchewan, College of Medicine - Best Practices in Intrapartum Care
September 6-9, 2017 - Banff, AB - Advance Care Planning & End of Life Care Conference 2017
September 23 & 24, 2017 - Regina, SK - University of Saskatchewan, College of Medicine - S.T.A.B.L.E
September 26, 2017 - Saskatoon, SK - Nursing Links - Liver Logic
September 30, 2017 - Kindersley, SK - University of Saskatchewan, College of Medicine - Fundamentals of Fetal Health Surveillance
August 29 & 30, 2017 - Regina, SK - Bridges Health - Mental Health First Aid in the Workplace
October 4-6, 2017 - Saskatoon, SK - University of Saskatchewan, CEDN - Custody & Caring Biennial International Conference
October 24, 2017 - Regina, SK - Nursing Links - Pharmacology Update
November 2 & 3 & 4, 2017 - Regina, SK - University of Saskatchewan, College of Medicine - Neonatal Resuscitation Program
November 20, 2017 - Saskatoon, SK - Nursing LInks - Physicial Assessment Pearls
SALPN Council (CE Hours based on meeting length)
LPNs can collect CEP points by serving on the SALPN Council. The Council is composed of LPNs from around the province whose mandate is to govern the workings of the SALPN. The SALPN will notify the membership when there is a vacant Council seat and the steps required to apply.
SALPN Committees (CE Hours based on meeting length)
LPNs can collect CEP points by serving on a SALPN committee. Committees are working groups comprised of LPNs who assist in the SALPN Council and Staff in the various capacities. The SALPN will notify the membership when there is a vacant committee seat and the steps required to apply.
LPNs are encouraged to apply as a preceptor with Saskatchewan Polytechnic. Preceptors assist student LPNs while working through their educational requirements for licensure. For more information or to register as a preceptor please contact Saskatchewan Polytechnic at one of their three locations. (8 CE Hours per week of preceptorship)
Prince Albert Campus:
Karen Ullyott- Program Head
1100 15th Street East Prince Albert, SK S6V 7S4
Phone: 306-765 1716
Jean Busby- Program Head
107 4th Ave S Saskatoon SK S7K 3R5
Sherri Rudolph - Program Head
4500 Wascana Parkway
Regina, SK S4P 3A3
A Professional Growth Plan (PGP) identifies activities and strategies that will provide you with the opportunity to evaluate your knowledge, skills and performance. A professional self assessment will assist in providing relevant feedback to help facilitate your ability to evaluate your overall competency and performance as they relate to the LPN Standards of Practice. The use of self-assessment enables practitioners to identify previously unperceived or future needs to guide ongoing professional growth. Completion of the PGP is worth 8 claimable hours for LPNs whom practice for 7 or more months. LPNs who hold a practicing license for less than 7 months are not eligible to complete the Professional Growth Plan.